Happy Sinhala Tamil New Year!
It's New Years day according to the traditional calendar here in Sri Lanka and Asanka and I will soon make our way 100 km into the center of the island to celebrate with his family in his hometown.
This holiday and the week leading up to it are the reason I am not at my worksite in Udawalawe yet - Asanka did not anticipate the New Years when he scheduled my original date of deployment. Had I been dropped off a week ago into the fundamentalist Sinhala south, I would have starved as every shop, kitchen, and grocery store were closed.
That said, I'm glad I've had more time in the capitol. After all, I'd be kicking myself if I missed the earthquake. But natural disasters don't cover all the highlights of the last few days:
Early in the week, Asanka and I delayed getting into the office to drive from university, to police station, to bank. At each stop, Asanka would grab an envelope and (of course) some Dilmah Tea and present it to each respective security guard. In Sinhala, he would ask the guard to give it to the powers that be and tell them "Thank you" from Asanka.
Asanka explained that these were very influential people, and it was a good idea to stay in their good graces. I couldn't help inquiring as to what role the police chief played in Dilmah Tea's world. Asanka put my worries to rest: "Oh, he's just and old friend. And, he can help whenever someone at Dilmah gets into trouble."I'm learning a lot.
On earthquake day, after our cricket and beer session, I was prepared to hit my usual bedtime of 10:00. Asanka informed me, however, that tonight I would get my first Colombo nightclub experience and we'd be leaving in an hour. One of the exciting things about living with Asanka is I have no notice for anything. We hopped in the company land cruiser and, after stopping for some late-night fish noodles, picked up Asanka's wingman, Murali. Murali is a helicopter and fixed-wing pilot who lived in the US for 11 years. He's worked in LA and Daytona (and is an avid Nascar fan). He is also ridiculous. That is to say, he appreciates the fairer sex and will not hesitate to voice his opinions on the subject.
The club is wild. With each passing hour, it only becomes more crowded. It is similar to a western discotheque with two main distinctions. 1) No age limit here - There are as many 40+'s as under 30's and they are all cutting a rug. 2) Men have no qualms about dancing by themselves or with their guy friends. Its all about the dancing and the assumed courting aspect of western nightclubs does not hold true. Oh, and I guess 3), there's Australian prostitutes around - but they seem nice.
Once it seems no more bodies can fit into the place, Murali and Asanka come to a consensus straight out of Swingers: "We'll need to bring you back some other time - this place is dead."
On thursday, Asanka briefs me on my expectations at the Elephant Transit Home (ETH):
1) Oversee installation of biogas plant (converting elephant dung into methane) and solar heater. These systems will work in tandem to boil water for elephant formula. If the water is not boiled, you'll have 40 baby elephants with diarrhea. Not great.
2) Get a merchandise store up and running. Product will be supplied by a local ceramics co-op (which will receive half of store revenue).
3) Survey trees and vegetation, teach english to local students, maintain website, generate copy for newsletters, keep weekly reports, oversee various repairs as needed, establish first Sri Lanka national park campsite/develop site rental program,....the list goes on.
Okay - off to Asanka's childhood home - thank you for your photo patience!
(ok trying again, hope
ReplyDeletethis post sticks!)
Awesome, compassionate, fabulous pix and story -- love it!
Can't wait for more.
xxx Aunt Peg